Thursday, March 16, 2006

sonia khurana's concept jottings

Hi, my title and things: [ try to print it all as it is] Sonia Khurana Notes from performance residency at Khoj, Feb-March, 2006. Much of my performance video work is predicated on the idea that video extends the impact of performance, adding the possibility of remote and future audiences for a one-time presentation. The video camera also changes the nature of performance, enabling an intimacy in which artists would do things in front of a camera that they may not do in the presence of live audiences. Through video, the performance could become endlessly present, always enacted for the first time. However, when incorporated as an element in live performance, video equipment can alter the experience of performance in a ‘live’ [theatrical] space by disrupting spatial continuity and adding a layer of technologically mediated presence and reception. [ and in my case: absance] In the past weeks it is this nebulous point of contact that I’ve tried to explore in various ways. I try to utilized this distance/intimacy to explore a range of psychosocial and psychosexual relations. Both by using my Body/self as a site for such interaction to take place, but also by situating my body/self into various sites where such negotiations can take place around the city. The following ‘works’ are at various stages of formulations and I shall share all or some of these for the open day: 1. performance/ video: ‘don’t touch me just when I start to feel safe’ [working title] 2. performance/ video: ‘when I fall in love, it will be forever’ [ working title] [ I may or may not show this at all] 3. performance video : ‘Volga’ 4. performance video: ‘Bag Lady’ [ 3. and 4. are sketches of performative acts done during the month around the city. These would be shown/shared as photos and video] 5. Am working on a surprise performance! [ which more or less addresses similar issues as I’ve spoken about: above ] Watch out! Or, there is also a possibility that this may not come together in time for the Open Day…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home